Man suffers third-degree burns on his leg after his iPhone exploded

A Sydney man has received third-degree burns after bumping his iPhone in a very minor fall.

Gareth Clear, 36, was riding his mountain bike alone through Manly Dam on Sunday afternoon with his phone in his back pocket when his foot missed the pedal as he was beginning to move.

The resulting fall was tiny, and Mr Clear only received a few small grazes.

Moments later, after he got back up, he noticed smoke pouring from his rear and felt a searing sensation on the right side of his buttocks.

Gareth Clear landed on his iPhone (pictured) in a minor fall from his stationary bike on Sunday, causing it to explode 

Gareth Clear landed on his iPhone (pictured) in a minor fall from his stationary bike on Sunday, causing it to explode

The phone heated up instantly, burning through his thick biking shorts and the Skins he was wearing underneath before searing through his skin (pictured)

The phone heated up instantly, burning through his thick biking shorts and the Skins he was wearing underneath before searing through his skin (pictured)

‘I suddenly saw this incredible plume of smoke,’ he said.

‘And there was a searing pain that went along with it – as though someone had pushed a huge block of ice against my leg.

‘It was pretty freaking painful.’

When Mr Clear turned around, he saw his thick biking shorts and the Skins he was wearing underneath were melting.

‘The phone was stuck to my leg having melted through both my shorts and my Skins,’ he said,

‘It had to have been more than 100 degrees.’

As he tried desperately to remove the melting pants and the exploded phone, he burned his fingers, and instead used his fist to punch the phone off his burning skin.

The phone dislodged with a huge metallic bang before falling on the ground where smoke continued to pour out.

Mr Clear was alone at the time, with nobody around to help.

‘I was on my own, writhing on the ground in agony,’ he said.

Mr Clear (pictured) says he won't hesitate to get back on a bike again, but he won't be taking his phone

Mr Clear (pictured) says he won’t hesitate to get back on a bike again, but he won’t be taking his phone

He was sent to the burns unit at the Royal North Shore Hospital, where he received a skin graft for his third-degree burns

He was sent to the burns unit at the Royal North Shore Hospital, where he received a skin graft for his third-degree burns

Mr Clear, 36, is now worried that what happened to him could happen to anyone

Mr Clear, 36, is now worried that what happened to him could happen to anyone

However, knowing that the exploded, bent phone could do more damage to someone else if he left it, he waited for the device to cool so he could take it back with him as he walked back to Manly, alone.

‘I basically sat there for about 20 minutes because I wanted to take the phone with me,’ he said.

‘I used two bits of wood to pick the phone up, and by the time I walked back to Manly with the phone and my bike – so probably another 30 minutes – it had finally cooled down.’

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: