Turkish Police raid 204 companies over coup attempt

[ObjectName]=TURKEY-KURDS-UNREST-BLAST [Urgency]=5 [Category]=WAR [DateCreated]=120607+0000 [OriginalTransmissionReference]=g2mapping/libg2 2.12.19 [Byline]=AFP [BylineTitle]=STR [City]=Elazig [CountryCode]=TUR [CountryName]=Turkey [Credit]=AFP [Source]=AFP [Caption]=Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim (C) gives a press conference after inspecting the blast scene following a car bomb attack on a police station in the eastern Turkish city of Elazig, on August 18, 2016. Twelve people were killed in a spate of bombings against Turkish security forces blamed on Kurdish rebels who appear to have ramped up their campaign of attacks in the aftermath of the failed coup. / AFP PHOTO / ILYAS AKENGIN [CaptionWriter]=KLC

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim (C) gives a press conference after inspecting the blast scene following a car bomb attack on a police station in the eastern Turkish city of Elazig, on August 18, 2016.

[ObjectName]=TURKEY-KURDS-UNREST-BLAST [Urgency]=5 [Category]=WAR [DateCreated]=120607+0000 [OriginalTransmissionReference]=g2mapping/libg2 2.12.19 [Byline]=AFP [BylineTitle]=STR [City]=Elazig [CountryCode]=TUR [CountryName]=Turkey [Credit]=AFP [Source]=AFP [Caption]=Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim (C) gives a press conference after inspecting the blast scene following a car bomb attack on a police station in the eastern Turkish city of Elazig, on August 18, 2016. Twelve people were killed in a spate of bombings against Turkish security forces blamed on Kurdish rebels who appear to have ramped up their campaign of attacks in the aftermath of the failed coup. / AFP PHOTO / ILYAS AKENGIN [CaptionWriter]=KLC

Turkish police on Thursday launched simultaneous operations against 204 companies in 18 cities across the country, as the purge continues in the wake of a failed coup attempt last month.

The companies were accused of offering financial support to U.S.-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen and the movement he leads, the Hurriyet daily said.

Ankara accuses Gulen of masterminding the military coup bid on July 15.

Detention warrants were also issued against 187 businessmen, including owners of well-known companies and brands, with the head of Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists targeted as well, the daily said.

It said the suspects are charged with “financing the terror organization,” “being member of the terror organization” and “forming and running a terror organization.”

Some 40,030 people have been detained and at least 20,355 others arrested in the aftermath of the coup attempt, in which 237 lives were lost.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*