FG Denies Ending 5-Year Visas For Americans As U.S. Tightens Travel Rules For Nigerians

The FG has dismissed claims that it has stopped issuing 5-year multiple-entry visas to citizens of the United States, describing such reports as fake news and misinformation.

In a statement on Thursday signed by Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Information and Strategy, the Presidency clarified that administration never halted the long-standing visa arrangement with the US, which remains guided by existing bilateral agreements and the principle of reciprocity.

According to the statement, immediately after assuming office, President Tinubu’s administration issued a directive that Nigeria must implement all its bilateral agreements with other nations and uphold reciprocity in diplomatic relations.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, it added, has already made clear Nigeria’s official position on the recent changes announced by the United States regarding its non-immigrant visa policy for Nigerian citizens.

He said, “The Ministry and other senior government officials will continue to engage with the United States to address the unfavourable restrictions in a just and fair manner that reflects the mutual respect and partnership that so exist between our two friendly nations.

“We want to reiterate that the US government’s claim of reciprocity as the reason for its current visa policy towards Nigeria does not accurately reflect the actual situation.

“The Nigerian government has not deviated from granting US citizens a 5-year multiple-entry non-immigrant visa, just as the US has continued to grant the same to Nigerians.

“The 90-day single-entry Visa validity period only applies to the newly introduced e-Visas, a short-term visa category for tourists and business people who may not wish to undergo the standard visa application process and wait.

“The e-visa replaces the now obsolete Visa-on-arrival, which was inefficient and often used as a means of extortion. The e-visa is a fast, online process that does not require the applicant to go to the embassy. Applicants receive the e-Visa within 48 hours of submitting their application.”

According to Onanuga, the “e-visa policy aligns with President Tinubu’s efforts to boost investment, trade, and tourism in the country, as well as promote the ease of doing business for non-nationals”.

He said, “Moreover, e-visas are a widely adopted global policy in dozens of countries.

“Although Nigeria has an e-visa policy for citizens of the US and several other countries, the US has not reciprocated this gesture for Nigerians.

“In the spirit of cooperation, mutual understanding, and partnership that have characterised the relationship between Nigeria and the United States over the decades, the Tinubu-led administration will continue to dialogue and engage with US authorities to resolve any issues that have led to the recent developments.”

SaharaReporters previously reported that Nigerians hoping to travel to the United States would now face stricter visa rules as the U.S. Department of State had announced new restrictions affecting several countries, including Nigeria.

Under the new policy, which took effect immediately, most non-immigrant and non-diplomatic visas issued to Nigerian citizens would now be valid for only three months and would allow just a single entry.

The U.S. Department of State issued the statement on Tuesday, saying the policy shift was expected to affect thousands of Nigerian students, businesspeople, tourists, and families who frequently travel to the U.S. for various purposes.