RANSOM AND RESCUE: THE TRUTH WE ARE NOT BEING TOLD

By Salihu Tanko Yakasai.

The Kebbi and Kwara kidnapping incidents reveal a painful truth. Behind the official rescue statements lies a cycle of negotiations, payments, and denials. Until we confront this openly, Arewa will continue to carry the heaviest burden.

I was genuinely relieved when news broke that the 25 girls abducted in Kebbi State had been “rescued” yesterday Tuesday, 25 November. It felt like a small victory, coming just days after the Eruku church members in Ekiti LGA of Kwara State were also declared “rescued.” The president quickly issued statements, backed by a full chorus from the Presidency’s media team and supporters.

But my relief didn’t survive the day.

Soon after, the bandits who kidnapped the Kebbi girls released their own video. The girls sat with them, and the abductors openly mocked the official narrative. “Karfi bai anshe ku ba,” they said, meaning force did not free you. They pressed the girls: “Gwamnati ta kasa ansar ku ko?” which meant that the government couldn’t rescue you, and the girls replied yes. The bandits even mentioned negotiations with “manyan mutane,” dismissing any claim that security operations led to their release.

It immediately reminded me of Bayo Onanuga’s comment on Arise TV same day, about the Kwara case. He said: “Security agencies reached out to the kidnappers and demanded the release of the victims, and they complied.” That was the moment my excitement dissolved. Between the Kebbi video and Bayo’s explanation, the truth is hard to ignore: ransom was paid. Bandits do not release captives out of goodwill, and no terrorist group simply “complies” with polite requests.

This raises a harder question: What exactly separates the negotiations done openly by local officials in Zamfara and Katsina from what the federal government just did quietly? The difference now seems cosmetic. While local officials were caught on camera; the federal government operated off-camera. The outcome is the same though, enormous sums flowing to terrorists!

And as long as ransom remains the path of least resistance, these kidnappings will only escalate, Kano State which has largely been spared, is also becoming a go-to destination for the kidnappers It also begs an uncomfortable possibility: are our government, both state and federal, as well as the security forces unable to prevent these attacks, or conduct effective rescue operations when they happen, making ransom the only viable option? Because every ransom paid today funds the next attack tomorrow, while steadily weakening our government and security institutions.

Whatever the case, one thing is certain. This crisis is far from over. Nigerians, especially in Arewa, must brace ourselves for a long road ahead, because the current strategy is not breaking the cycle. It is feeding it!

A nation that keeps buying back its own citizens is not winning the war. It is slowly losing itself!

Allah shi kare mu, amin!