Enugu Neighbourhood Watch Operatives Shoot Dead Restaurant Owner, Youths Burn Patrol Vehicle

Members of the Enugu State Neighbourhood Watch have reportedly shot dead one Oforma popularly known as Ofor Onye Ofe Olubu.

The victim identified as a popular restaurant owner, was reportedly killed at Ogrute roundabout in Igboeze North Local Government Area of Enugu State on Monday night.

A video of the aftermath of the incident posted on Facebook, seen by SaharaReporters on Tuesday, showed a security vehicle belonging to the neighbourhood watch group going in flames.

It was reportedly set ablaze by irate youths who trooped out to confront the security operatives following the brutal murder of the Oforma, who was said to be loved by many.

According to an eyewitness, the security team had gone to arrest someone in Offor’s restaurant but were resisted. The situation degenerated into a fist fight between the restaurant owner and the security operatives.

“In the ensuing fracas, he was shot in the back by one of the security operatives,” said the eyewitness who does not want his name in print.

The eyewitness further narrated that on seeing what had happened, the security men took to their heels, abandoning their vehicle which was later set ablaze by the angry youths.

The victim was rushed to St. Mary’s Hospital Ogrute where he was confirmed dead in the early hours of Tuesday.

A group known as Concerned Igboeze North Youths (CINY) confirmed the development in a post on social media on Tuesday morning.

The post reads, “We lost him. The guy that was allegedly shot dead by Igboeze North Security personnel. St Mary’s hospital Doctor at Ogrute confirmed him dead.

“This is so bad to say RIP. A breadwinner is gone; a father is gone; someone’s husband is gone; someone’s son; Uncle, brother, in-law etc is gone.”

They called on Igboeze North political leaders, the police, the Chairman of the local government, the state government and other relevant authorities to commence an urgent investigation to bring the culprits to justice.

SaharaReporters’ efforts to speak with the State Police Public Relations Officer DSP Daniel Ndukwe, were unsuccessful as he did not take his calls. He had yet to react to a text message sent to him.